Saturday, October 22, 2011

Welcoming Families From Around the World

My family will be coming from the country of Mali. To prepare to be culturally responsive to the family I will:

1. Gather information such as community organizations and other resources that will both teach me background informatiom on their country and give them resources of support to help them transition.

2. Learn key words from their home language to help the family feel more welcome and comfortable, as well as to foster a familiar environment for the child and let the family know that I will value and work to keep the home language alive in the classroom.

3. Learn about their customs, practices, and religion

4. find an interpreter who can accompany me on their initial visit to make them feel welcome and comfortable so that there are no language barriers.

5. Having an interpreter will allow me to find out more about their family culture such as gender roles, role of children, intergenerational relationships, and interdependence as well as strengths and challenges they might bring to the program.

Over all I hope these preparations will strengthen the parent/teacher relationship as well as foster a culturally positive classroom environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment