Friday, October 28, 2011

Professional Hopes and Goals

One hope that I have in regards to working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that I will treat all families with respect and make an effort to understand their own family culture and to make them feel they are vital and unique to their community. Just as Seifert said, "seek first to understand, then to be understood"(2007).

One goal that I have related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is that I can be an advocate to help educate others in my family, community, and professional life about the consequences of microaggressions and "isms" and teach them why change is necessary.

I want to take this time to thank all of my collegues for their comments and discussions with me both at the discussion board and in the blogs. I have gained much insight and with your help I feel as though I have begun my long journey towards change.

No comments:

Post a Comment