Friday, October 14, 2011

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

I have recently witnessed the bias and prejudice of my neices fiance. My niece who is white announced that she and her boyfriend who is african american are getting married next month. This is something totally new to my family since the only ethnic person is my sister in law who is a Native American. Her parents were in total shock at first because inter racial marriage is against their belief so they attempted to cut her off. When that did not work they realized that they did not want to lose her so they are making an attempt to get to know Toney. In the meantime, I have heard comments from family members like he is the typical black male who was not raised with a father, he is lazy and does not have any ambition, he is only marrying her because black men believe that white women are a prize like a trophy, I hope he is not abusive to her, she is going to lead a rough life. I am totally embarrassed that members of my own family would make stereotypical comments such as these and I almost did not share them.

This incident diminishes equity because Toney was not even given a chance. He was pre judged based on the assumptions and prejudices of others who have never even been that close to someone with a diverse ethnicity. He was not initially treated like an individual.

As I mentioned before, I was embarrassed by such comments and I hope that I can try and educate my family to help them make a change in their attitude. Maybe this marriage will be a new start for change. Initially I had some uncomfortable feelings about it because of how I was raised, but thankfully after what I have learned through this course, I was able to look at the relationship differently.

The ones who will need to change in order to turn this incident into opportunity for greater equity is the one who has experienced the pain of prejudice or the ones who observe inequities and want to advocate for change like my neice and her fiance and me. If those who are being oppressed wait for the oppressors to change, then equity will be more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment