Friday, November 11, 2011

Communication Skills

The show that I observed was "Rules of Engagement". I had never seen it before or heard anything about it. The first interaction was between a woman and a man; he was sitting on the couch and she was standing to the side speaking to him. The man seemed to ignore her and did not make eye contact with her. The woman eventually went around behind him, smiled and bent down to hug him. The man did not have any expression or respond to her. The next interaction was between another couple. The man was speaking to the woman seemingly excited as she made faces, rolled her eyes,and shook her head back and forth.

Based on my observation I assumed that the first couple were brother and sister. With the next couple I assumed that he was trying to date her and she was just annoyed with him and did not want that kind of relationship.

Then I watched with the sound on and found out that the first couple were actually married but were having troubles, and the second assumption was pretty much the case except that they were friends who went on a hike together. What appeared to be things that might happen between couples who were dating were actually just incidents that appeared that way.

If I had known the characters in the story I would not have assumed any of these things. My assumptions were based on previous knowledge and experiences but they were not always accurate.

I learned that our assummptions are not always accurate and that focusing on non verbal skills can tell you how someone is feeling at that moment but it cannot tell us who they really are. So, again, we have to be careful about judging people based on our own experiences and assumptions because that does not tell the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment