Thursday, November 11, 2010

Child Development and Public Health

The topic that I chose was Nutrition/malnutrition because according to research, children need to have their basic needs met  before they can focus on education and other secondary issues.  In the beginning of my research I initially was interested in access to healthy water, but as I read articles I found that all six public health measures were interrelated.  One led to another which made it a toss up as to which one I decided to research.

 I found that Peru had the highest rate of malnutrition in Latin America with 40 percent of children under 5 having malnutrition.  Water was a secondary issue, it is usually collected, hauled a long distance, and stored until it is consumed.  Water gathered in this way is vulnerable to contamination between its source and its point of use.

I have learned that there are many factors that impact children's development all over the world and they all need to be addressed.  Determining which is the most important is the question.  In the evidence from my readings this week I think you have to focus on  the health of the mother and unborn child as all of these would have an impact on a healthy pregnancy.  I am definately more aware of the broader span of public health issues than I was before I did my research.   

No comments:

Post a Comment